Thursday, October 2, 2008

Neither Fight Nor Flight

Peter and I were walking home to the parking lot after work last night. We waited at an intersection for the traffic to clear or the light to change. I was watching the wrong light and in my perennial drowsiness got my signals crossed somehow, starting across the street while traffic was still coming down the road at something like 80 feet per second. I saw a pickup truck bearing down on me, with the likely result of pancakedom, so I picked up my feet and ran the rest of the way across the street, avoiding collission.

But no adrenalin flowed.

Now, why would anyone have a close call and not trigger a fight or flight response? It doesn't make sense, unless the adrenal glands are shot or the little thingummy in the brain that is supposed to trigger them is kittywonker.

Mebbe I'll ask the doctor.

No comments: